Yacare caiman eating the eggs of a conspecific during oviposition
Jen Walkowich, Reptile Keeper, St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park – July 4, 2009
The St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park in Florida has reported many interesting behaviors from crocodilians: young alligators eating their vegetables, others swallowing their food underwater, crocodiles feeding their young, and now Caiman yacare eating the eggs of a conspecific as she was in the process of oviposition. The enclosure is occupied by five female Caiman yacare, that were fed a diet of Mazuri crocodilian pellets earlier that day. Around 7:00pm, one female was observed intently watching another female depositing the eggs and then proceeded to grab an egg from the nest. After swallowing that egg, she grabbed another and entered the pool to eat the second egg. A third female was observed watching the event, but did not appear interested in the activity.
Crocodile Specialist Group Newsletter VOLUME 28, NUMBER 3 – July 2009-September 2009
- Why would a rattlesnake’s tail glow under black light?
- Why do crocodiles sit with their mouths open?
- A Chinese Alligator in Heliox: Format Frequencies in a Crocodilian
- Crocodylian Head Width Allometry and Phylogenetic Prediction of Body Size in Extinct Crocodyliforms
- Divergent Morphology among Populations of the New Guinea Crocodile, Crocodylus novaeguineae (Schmidt, 1928): Diagnosis of an Independent Lineage and Description of a New Species
- The Frontoparietal Fossa and Dorsotemporal Fenestra of Archosaurs and Their Significance for Interpretations of Vascular and Muscular Anatomy in Dinosaurs
- Surveying death roll behavior across Crocodylia
- Meeting Karen Allen
- Crocodiles using tools?
- Can Crocodiles change color?
- SAAF Film Credits
- Yacare caiman eating the eggs of a conspecific during oviposition
- Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is…
- Are Crocodilians Like Dinosaurs?
- Crocodilian Immune Activity
- Field Research in Gambia
- Crocodile Laying Eggs After a Move
- Crocodile Food
- Crocodilian Enrichment: The good, the bad, and the untried
- Crocodilian Stationing: Incidental Benefits to a Basic Training Technique
- Crocodilian Tooth Replacement
- Crocodilians Drinking
- Pheromone Collection from Crocodilians
- Chinese Alligators
- Frozen Zoo
- Galloping Crocodilians
- Alligator CT Scan
- Crocodilians Eating Their Vegetables
- Crocodilians Swallowing Underwater
- Crocodiles as Parents
- Crocodiles Feeding Their Young
- Courtship Behavior of American Alligators
- Social Displays of the American Alligator
- Green screen
- Crocodilian Bite-force
- Endoscopy of Crocodilians
- Mummy Crocodiles